Historic Beaufort, North Carolina
117 Queen Street, Beaufort, North Carolina 28516
Today, Beaufort possesses an old-world, southern charm, steeped in maritime history and the adventure brought by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
With world-famous fishing, North Carolina's Crystal Coast is famous for its local seafood. Beaufort is no exception. But, the sea is only where our cuisine starts in our historic seaport.
Boats dot the waterfront, from private yachts and massive sailboats to trawlers bringing locally owned restaurants “fresh from the docks” sea fare.
Cozy inns line the harbor, inspiring Nicholas Sparks to set several of his novels in Beaufort, including “A Walk to Remember” and “The Choice.”
Beaufort, North Carolina
named one of
Budget Travel magazine.
Be sure to follow
Carteret Carteret County's written history dates back to 1525. The Barrier Islands, located between Oracoke Inlet and Bogue Inlet (now know as Core, Shakleford and Bogue Banks), were described as "lush, where supplies of water, fresh meat, fish and wood could be found.)" Carteret was home to the Hatteras, the Core and the Neuse Indian tribes. Beaufort, North Carolina's third oldest town, was surveyed in 1713 and incorporated in 1722.
Beaufort is named for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort. Somerset was one of the Lord's Propietors of Carolina. Built on the site of the Indian Village Wareiock, meaning "Fish Town" or Fishing Village," Beaufort was first called Fishtown.
During the 1700's, small fishing villages and settlements gre throughout Carteret County. Areas developed around plantations such as Shepard's Point (now Morehead City).
Over the years, Carteret County has overcom considerable adversity. In 1747, parates seized the town of Beaufort. Local farmers and militia drove them off. It is believed that the last battle of the Revolutionary War took place in Beaufort in April of 1782.
The 1800's were a time of growth and prosperity for the area with shipping, boat building, farming, forestry products and fishing, making Carteret a busy self-contained area. Morehead City began to develop. In the early 1900s, a bridge was constructed to connect Morehead City to Bogue Banks. This area, now known as Atlantic Beach, has become a famous East Coast resort.
Fort Macon was constructed during the 1820s and 1830s to protect Old Topsail Inlet (now Beaufort Inlet). At the beginning of the Civil War in 1861, the Cape Lookout Lighthouse was seized from the Federal government by North Carolina. On April 25,1862, Fort Macon was taken by Federal forces. During the remainder of the war, Carteret County was occupied by Union Forces.
|Subscribe to our Mailing List